Sunday, March 1, 2009

Healthy Toddler - My Monthly Cooking Spree!

Today was my day to cook all of the vegetables and fruits for Kaileigh. I've been using the Super Baby Food book since she was about 5months old. When I first started this "cause", if you will, it was merely out of the need to save expenses in the purchase of jarred baby food. Even with a 4oz jar at .49 each, you figure you end up buying almost $50-85 in baby food a month - not including any cereals or other foods for them. So, I decided that I was going to make my own baby food! I spend at least half of that each month and I'm able to buy fresh, organic, produce and fruits and grains that ended up lasting longer than a month ; especially the grains. All I needed was a food processor and a blender (if not grain grinder).

At first I was overwhelmed and thought that I would never be able to keep up with it. However, it took me one month of this system and after that I had it down to a 2x/mo routine. And naturally, as Kaileigh got older, the amount of 'pureeing' went down and the amount of work I had to do. At this point, Kaileigh still LOVES her "super porridge" and has it about 3 times a week. And, though I try to get her to eat "chunks" of the same vegetables, she will only eat them mashed. So, at this point I am willing to still mash up the veggies if it means she eats them! And now that we are definitely in the snacky stage of life, this book is just on the counter all the time!

Now all of that said to say this:

In addition to saving money, Kaileigh has been exceptionally healthy and is eating the same way that Greg & I do. Not EVERYTHING is 'organic', but it is always fresh and we try to buy as natural as possible. And I have had such a rollarcoaster with my own hormones since High School, that diet is everything in this house. Why not just start right away with our child?

The more reading I do, the more I realize how important it is to help shape a child's diet before the age of 2. Not saying that Kaileigh will not like things from time to time, but she will always try something once.

What started as a necessity to save money, became a true belief and lifestyle in organic & natural nutrition for not just my husband and I, but for our 1 1/2yr old daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment