Saturday, March 7, 2009

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (aka Panic Disorder)

I hate how this is referred to as a disorder - because it is curable - not treatable.

I have spent the last 10 years working on nutrition, vitamins, exercise to take care of my body in what the physician world recognizes as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was doing really well until after Kaileigh was born. As I continued to breastfeed, I struggled to manage my weight and couldn't take half of the supplements, etc. And I found my anxiety returning. Because of the extensive surgery I had to undergo after delivery, I had almost 4 months of recovery time. This is what ultimately got me into a different pattern of life and eating habits. All this to say, I have finally been getting back into a "groove", if you will, for how I was operating pre-birth!

I see a holistic doctor monthly and take supplements, along with diet, exercise, and massage therapy as well twice a month. Since re-starting my regiment, I have not had to take one prescription pill to 'treat' my anxiety.

I wanted to share with everyone some of the things I have learned and discovered for myself that has truly cured the anxiety. Keep in mind that not all these things work for everyone, but a huge majority of people do find this to be true and work.
  1. Some explainable causes for anxiety & panic can be low blood sugar - you can just eat something and find yourself calming down.
  2. Scent/Aromatherapy also work with others - baby powder, lavender, hyacinth, & peppermint are just a few of the scents that aid in relaxation of the brain.
  3. Acupressure - I myself am very responsive to this technique and is why I have a massage 2x a month. There are specific pressure points that actually release a "euphoric adrenaline" that will literally relax and calm your whole body. I also use "neck wraps". You don't even have to go out to the store to buy one, you can take a clean sock with some rice and just tie it up and then heat in the microwave. If you want to add aroma, go to your local health store and get the desired oil to put on the rice. This can be a really cheap way to have some nice 'spa' therapy! I love the Lemongrass Spa products; not expensive, but very effective
  4. Diet - foods that are low in caffeine and sugars are huge. Adding in a vitamin drink or EmergenC to a glass of water will actually calm your body.
  5. Vitamins - B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, and Adrenal health are definitely key.

Though these are just a few options, if you are faithful and get yourself into a routine, you will not help but notice a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment